Welcome to Hawk Tennis
AHS Hawk Tennis 2021
Welcome to new and returning student-athletes and parents.
It will be nearly 2 years since a Hawk has played tennis for our school. In that time most of the varsity players have graduated, 2 classes of freshmen have entered AHS, Coach Smith has moved to coach the girls team where his daughter will be a freshman (freshperson?) next year and we have a new head coach with the following qualification highlights:
- U.S.P.T.A. Elite Professional
- Trained and developed junior programs including top 10 nationally ranked
- Head Coach Eastern Michigan University, assistant coach/ player Siena Heights University
- Teaching professional at Ames Fitness Center/ First Strike Tennis Academy
Coach Feve is back (very good news!) COVID vaccines are becoming more available (more good news) and we fully expect to have a full season. Great News!
Here are some plans and expectations we have for the ‘21 season
- Practice opens Monday March 15th (practice times will be shared on REMIND)
- This is Spring break week so anyone who has family plans will be excused
- Weather is always tentative at best so we may try to go indoors in Ames
- There will be a ladder but because of the gap in seasons and change in coaches we will make the playing positions a combination of ladder play and coaches decision.
- Monday -Thursday will be regular practices: After the week of March 15-19, we will begin separate Varsity and JV practices. Varsity: 4-5:15; JV 5:15-6:15
- Friday will be match play or ladder matches for Varsity players only
- All notices will be via REMIND: AHS Boys Tennis ’21 class. Register by doing one or both of the below steps
- Download the Remind App and register using class code @at/h43797
- Text @at/h43797 to 81010
- Racquet recommendations: two matching, preferably with NEW
- Looking for volunteering parents/guardians to donate/prepare/ bring snacks to meets
- Required uniform is under Players on the below website: T shirt and shorts
- Link to online catalog: Uniform and Apparel Website
- Must purchase by Feb. 15th
All appropriate forms:
- must be turned in by March 15
- All school mandated covid protocols must be followed
Look for a video from activities director, Andy Umthum, on or about February 17, concerning spring sports.
Coach Contact Information
Head Coach Ron Miller
515.333.1517 Please note that coaches cannot communicate with athletes via text. You may call though.
Assistant Coach Sebastien Feve
AHS Boys Tennis Handbook